VA Caregiver Support Program
Serving all who served
Pride counts at VA. Find resources and support available for LGBTQ+ Veterans
PCAFC in-person home visits
The National Emergency related to COVID-19 impacts PCAFC home visits.
Dear Fellow Caregivers
Caregivers of Veterans share their stories. Read them here.
Extension PCAFC Legacy Participants/Legacy Applicants
VA announced that it is extending the amount of time that Legacy Participants, Legacy Applicants and their Family Caregivers within the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family (PCAFC) will remain eligible for the Program. This will include all services, supports and benefits for another three full years. More information can be found here (press release, Interim Final Rule) *For important updates about the Caregiver Support Program (CSP) go to: https://www.caregiver.va.gov/Announcements.asp
PCAFC Phase II Expansion!
VA has expanded PCAFC to eligible Veterans of all service eras, as of October 1, 2022.
Caregiver Support Program (CSP)
The Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) Caregiver Support Program (CSP) offers clinical services to caregivers of eligible and covered Veterans enrolled in the VA health care system. The program’s mission is to promote the health and well-being of family caregivers who care for our Nation’s Veterans, through education, resources, support, and services. There is a CSP team CSP Team Locator located at every VA facilities .
CSP carries out its mission through two programs:
- Program of General Caregiver Support Services (PGCSS)
- Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC)
- CSP - Two Programs: What’s the Difference?
- How CSP is Enhancing Services (PDF)
Program of General Caregiver Support Services (PGCSS)
- Services: Skills training, mobile support, one-on-one coaching, group support and coaching, self-care, peer support mentoring, telephone support, online programs, and referrals to available VA and community resources.
- Visit the CSP Teams/Caregiver Support Coordinators Locator .
- Eligibility: PGCSS is available to caregivers of Veterans enrolled in VA health care who served in any era.
- How do I apply: PGCSS Frequently Asked Questions.
Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) - (See Full Eligibility Requirements Before Applying)
- Services: Education and training, health insurance (if caregiver is otherwise uninsured), mental health counseling, monthly financial stipend, respite care and other services.
- Eligibility: For Veteran and family caregiver eligibility requirements, please visit eligibility requirements.
NOTE: If not meeting all PCAFC eligibility requirements, to include being at least 70% service connected, please visit our Program of General Caregiver Support Services (PGCSS)
• All caregivers of Veterans enrolled in VHA are eligible for PGCSS, as long as the Veteran agrees to receive care from the caregiver.
If meeting all PCAFC eligibility requirements please proceed:
- HOW DO I APPLY:
• Apply online: Online application PCAFC.
• By mail: Download and print VA Form 1010CG.
• In person: Bring your completed VA Form 10-10CG to your local CSP Teams/Caregiver Support Coordinators.
Veteran Requirements for Caregiver Program
- Enrolling in VA Health Care: A Veteran must be enrolled in VA health care, or is a Service member on active duty undergoing a medical discharge. Veterans can apply for VA health care benefits by completing and following submission instructions here (VA Form 10-10EZ).
- Find out how the Veteran can apply for VA health care.
Questions about Caregiver Support Program
- Call: the Caregiver Support Line (CSL) at toll-free, 1-855-260-3274, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET, and Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET
- Visit the CSP Teams/Caregiver Support Coordinators Locator to connect.
To assist you with enrolling in these programs, contact your local VA facility CSP Team/Caregiver Support Coordinator, or call the VA Caregiver Support Line(CSL) at 1-855-260-3274.
CSL Expanded hours:
-Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET
-Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET
Subscribe to receive email updates and information about VA Caregiver Support Program services.