VA Caregiver Support Program
PCAFC - Reassessment Update
Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC) Reassessment News
VA remains committed to supporting Veterans’ caregivers as a top priority.
As part of this commitment, we have been actively listening to concerns and working diligently to address them to ensure Veterans and their caregivers get the support they need and deserve. VA continues to review all aspects of PCAFC to identify opportunities to improve the experience of Veterans and caregivers.
Here are steps we are taking and additional information on what Veterans’ caregivers can expect going forward:
- We continue to carefully review and examine ways to improve the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC), including a thorough review of the eligibility criteria and improving the overall Veteran and caregiver experience.
- We’re suspending annual reassessments during a review of current eligibility criteria for those enrolled in the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers.
- However, we will continue to initiate reassessments for Veterans and family caregivers who request to be considered for an increase in stipend level or if there is evidence of an increased need for personal care services.
- We will not remove anyone from the program or decrease any support based on reassessments.
- We’ve redesigned the PCAFC wellness contact visit process to better capture the caregiver and Veteran’s overall needs.
- We’re creating a caregiver and Veteran experience survey that will be used to make ongoing improvements.
- We’re working to better connect caregivers and Veterans to ensure wrap-around support from the Office of Mental Health and Suicide Prevention, Geriatrics and Extended Care and other VA and community resources.
- The PCAFC is now in Phase II of expansion to include Veterans of all service eras on October 1, 2022.
We’ll continue to build on these steps to ensure Veterans and their caregivers get the support they need and deserve.
For important updates regarding the Caregiver Support Program, go to: https://www.caregiver.va.gov/Announcements.asp.
Call VA’s Caregiver Support Line (CSL) at 1-855-260-3274 to learn more about the support that is available to you, and for assistance connecting with the Caregiver Support Team/Coordinator, at your local VA Medical Center.
VA CSL Expanded hours:
-Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET
-Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET
Subscribe to receive email updates and information about VA Caregiver Support Program services.