VA Caregiver Support
Caregiver Support Line (CSL) - Handouts & Past Presentations
Taking care of yourself is the best thing you can do for those that depend on you.
Select a self-care topic below to learn more.
- Let’s Talk About Money: Managing Your Financial Reality - (PDF)
- Tis the Season: Celebrating the Rituals and Values that Give Life Meaning - (PDF)
- Tending Loves Flames: Keeping the Love Alive - (PDF)
- Beyond the Blues: Coping with Caregiver Depression - (PDF)
- Creating a Space for You: Caring for a Loved One at Home - (PDF)
- Extinguishing the Fire: Managing Angers Destructive Potential - (PDF)
- Healing the Wounds of Inner Shame - (PDF)
- Palliative Care: Improving the Quality of Life for Caregivers and Veterans with Chronic Illness - (PDF)
- Seeking Center: How to Find Calm in the Midst of Chaos Handout (PDF)
- Caregiver Partners: Understanding and Healing the Wounds of PTSD Handout - (PDF)
- Empowering Caregivers: Your Health Belongs to You Handout - (PDF)
- Babies on the Homefront Caregiving While Caring for Your Young Child Handout - (PDF)
- Caregiver Partners Understanding and Healing the Wounds of PTSD Handout - (PDF)
- Free Yourself Don't Get Tripped Up with Caregiver Guilt Handout - (PDF)
- Let's Talk About Money Managing Your Financial Reality Handout - (PDF)
- Setting Boundaries Defining What is Best for You Handout - (PDF)
CSL - Telephone Education Group Monthly Presentations
Select a link below to listen to training topics on-demand. Trainings are updated regularly so be sure to check back!
We Serve All Who Serve: Recognizing Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Veterans, and their Caregivers
LGBT people have suffered from a long history of prejudice. This group focuses on the unique struggles of LGBT Veterans and their LGBT Caregivers. We will discuss the harmful effects of prejudice and the strengths developed as a result of coping with these struggles. We will provide information and resources to support you. We will discuss the rights and benefits that you are due and how the VA can help.
Caregiver Partners: Understanding and Healing the Wounds of PTSD
Veterans are not the only people that suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). PTSD can occur if you have experienced a trauma. Are you a caregiver with a history of trauma? Are you a caregiver that suffers from PTSD? This discussion takes the mystery out of this disorder. We will help you understand PTSD and how you can get help. Healing can occur no matter how these wounds developed. There is a light at the end of the tunnel for those who do struggle with PTSD.
Own Your Emotions: Labeling and Communicating Your Feelings
This group will help you understand your emotions and how you react to them. Learn to share your feelings clearly so others understand you. Skills will be discussed to give you more control of your emotional reactions. Listen to this group and improve how you manage your emotions with success.
Caregiving and Mental Illness
The stigma and the symptoms of mental illness are difficult to cope with. These are tough challenges for those who care for a loved one with mental illness. In this group coping strategies are discussed. These tools can help you stay grounded as you deal with the upheavals of mental illness. Listen and find a path forward with less uncertainty.
Choosing Your Words: Harnessing the Power of Communication
Taking care of another person can be stressful. You may juggle many demands. It helps to know how to communicate well when you are stressed. This session will help you identify what you need. It will also help you learn to communicate your needs clearly. When you have a lot to cope with it is so important to be able to communicate well. Good communication skills can help you care for yourself and your loved one. Listen to this presentation and learn how to advocate for yourself and the person you care for.