VA Caregiver Support Program
Peer Support Mentoring Program
Peer Support Mentoring Fact Sheets:
The Caregiver Peer Support Mentoring Program is available for general and family caregivers of all Veterans. The program was developed to strengthen relationships between caregivers, to provide an opportunity for networking and to empower caregivers to help one another.
- Peer Support Mentoring Caregiver Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Hoja de datos del cuidador de tutoría de apoyo de pares - Spanish (PDF)
- Fact Sheet ng Tagapag-alaga sa Mentoring ng Peer Support - Tagalog/Filipino (PDF)
Your requests were received for the Spanish translation of the supportive calls hosted by the Peer Support Mentoring Program for our caregivers. Because of you and the feedback in this being a “much-needed” resource, we are pleased to announce the schedule of Monthly Spanish Language Calls. These calls are open to all caregivers actively participating the Program of General Caregiver Support Services (PGCSS) or the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC).
Monthly Spanish calls are scheduled to occur on the second Wednesday of each month at 2:00 PM E.T. through the end of FY23. Dial-in information listed below.
Calls will be hosted on WebEx using the following dial-in information.
Meeting Call in number: USA Toll-free Number 1-833-558-0712.
Meeting number (access code): 2762 339 4163
There is NO registration required
Spirituality Calls - Peer Support Mentoring Program
The VA Peer Support Mentoring (PSM) Program and the National Chaplain Office will be hosting a 12-month series addressing spiritualty and caregiving. These calls are open to caregivers of Veterans enrolled in the Program of General Caregiver Support Services (PGCSS) or the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC).
Calls will be held on the first Friday of each month from 12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m. EST., and will be hosted on WebEx using the dial-in information below. There is NO registration required. Meeting Call in number: USA Toll-free Number 1-833-558-0712. Meeting number (access code): 2762 030 9378
- May 2023 - Spirituality and Summer Safety Tips
- June 2023 - Spirituality and Respite
- July 2023 - Spirituality and PTSD
- August 2023 - Spirituality and Grief
Why Become a Peer Mentor?
Mentoring creates a trusting and helpful relationship between two people. Peer Mentors provide personal support to their Mentees, assist with the navigation of daily stressors and serve as role models for individuals who need help.Benefits of Serving as a Peer Mentor
- Sharing tips about caregiving that you have learned through your own experience
- sharing your experience and knowledge of resources such as VA benefits, the VA healthcare team and community agencies that can provide needed assistance
- Providing an outlet for socializing and networking
- Helping caregivers build life skills to deal with adversity in the future
Why Work with a Peer Mentor?
Because there are many challenges to being a caregiver, it can be helpful for you to talk with someone who has “been there” and understands the pressures that come with being a caregiver.Benefits of Having a Peer Mentor
- Creating an outlet for socializing and networking
- Learning from the experience and support of those who understand the challenges caregivers face
- Receiving support from someone who has “been there”
Eligibility Criteria/Becoming a Peer Mentor
- Caregivers of Veterans of all eras are eligible to participate in the VA Caregiver Peer Support Mentoring Program, both as Mentors and as Mentees.
- The first step is to register as a Volunteer and receive orientation in the Voluntary Services Program at your VA Medical Center (VAMC).
- The second is completing the orientation to the Peer Support Mentoring Program.
- The last step is being matched with another caregiver.
- Mentors will be required to participate in training before being assigned to a Mentee.
- Background and fingerprint checks are required for Mentors through the local VA medical center Voluntary Services Department.
How Can I Be Connected to the Peer Support Mentoring Program?
Your local Caregiver Support Coordinator can assist you with a referral. Caregiver Support Coordinators serve to assist Veterans and caregivers access VA services and benefits as well as local community resources.
More Support - Caregiver Suppport Line(CSL)
Listen to a caregiver share their journey, be inspired and reassured that you are not alone! Sign up for monthly telephone-based group sessions. These presentations provide self-care tips on a range of topics and allow time for comments and questions.
Call VA’s Caregiver Support Line (CSL) at 1-855-260-3274 to learn more about the support that is available to you, and for assistance connecting with the Caregiver Support Team, at your local VA Medical Center.
VA CSL Expanded hours:
-Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET
-Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET
Your local Caregiver Support Team are licensed professionals who can support you by matching you with services for which you are eligible, and providing you with valuable information about resources that can help you stay smart, strong and organized as you care for the Veteran you love.
Subscribe to receive email updates and information about VA Caregiver Support Program services.