VA Caregiver Support Program
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers services to support the spouse, children, or family caregiver of a deceased Veteran or service member. You may qualify for the following services. Visit this website for a complete list of benefits: https://www.va.gov/health-care/family-caregiver-benefits/.
- Bereavement Resources for Spouses, Children, and Family Caregivers of Deceased Veterans or Service Members (PDF)
- Bereavement counseling - https://www.va.gov/burials-memorials/bereavement-counseling/
- How to apply for a Veterans burial allowance - https://www.va.gov/burials-memorials/veterans-burial-allowance/
- VA dependency and indemnity compensation (DIC) - https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/
- Scheduling a burial - https://www.va.gov/burials-memorials/schedule-a-burial/
- Surviving spouse of or a child of a Veteran with disabilities or a Veteran who has died may be able to get health insurance through the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA).
- If you’re the family member of an active duty, retired, or deceased service member, National Guard soldier, Reservist, or Medal of Honor recipient, you may qualify for the TRICARE program*.
- Military funeral honors and the committal service - https://www.va.gov/burials-memorials/what-to-expect-at-military-funeral/
- VA Survivors Pension - https://www.va.gov/pension/survivors-pension/
- Experiencing Grief or Loss - https://www.va.gov/REACH/challenge/experiencing-grief-or-loss/