VA Caregiver Support Program
Caregivers Support Line (CSL)
VA's National Caregiver Support Line is a toll-free number for caregivers, family members, friends, Veterans, and community partners to contact for information related to caregiving and available supports and services.
Call VA’s Caregiver Support Line at 1-855-260-3274 to learn more about the support that is available to you and for assistance connecting with the Caregiver Support Team at your local VA Medical Center.
Caregiver Support Line Expanded Hours:
- Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET
- Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET
Whether you're in need of immediate assistance or have questions about what services you may be eligible for, the Caregiver Support Line team can help you.
- LEARN: more about CSP, its various services, and program eligibility.
- NAVIGATE: barriers to accessing care.
- CONNECT: with the CSP team at your local VAMC, who assist with referrals to local services and enrollment in CSP.
- DISCOVER: additional VA and community resources available to help care for a Veteran.
- RECEIVE: supportive counseling.
If you're just getting started with VA, calling the Caregiver Support Line is a great first step to take to learn more about the support that's available to you.
- CSL Fact Sheet (PDF)
Caregiver Support Line (CSL) Services
Counseling with a Social Worker
Need someone to talk to? Our social workers can provide you with emotional support and counseling during your call.
Monthly Education Calls
We offer free, monthly one-hour telephone education calls for caregivers. Caregivers who are unable to attend the calls can access presentations online at www.caregiver.va.gov/support-line/presentations.asp.
To register for monthly education calls, contact us at 1-855-260-3274.
Upcoming CSL Education Calls
May 2023 - Sailing in Turbulent Waters: How to Have Positive Conflict Resolution
Conflict in a relationship cannot be avoided. All relationships will come face to face with conflict. Conflict can be destructive if not managed well. Learn the skills to manage conflict in a positive way and make your relationships stronger. This group will help you understand the tools you need to build a bridge of understanding. Join us to learn how to turn your conflicts into a positive experience.
- Tues 5/02/23 10am (9am Central 8am MT 7am Pacific)
- Wed 5/10/23 7pm (6pm Central 5pm MT 4pm Pacific)
- Wed 5/17/23 3pm (2pm Central 1pm MT 12pm Pacific)
June 2023 - Quiet on the Homefront: Restoring Connections at HomeCaring for many needs at once is difficult. Caregivers often have to care for many different needs at the same time. These needs and demands can compete with one another. Your home can feel like a safe haven or hostile territory. Much of this depends on how well you manage the pressures at home. This presentation will discuss how to make your home a place of comfort. We will also identify tools to help you care for yourself and the people in your life. Bring balance, order, healing, and support back to your Homefront.
- Tues 6/06/23 10am (9am Central 8am MT 7am Pacific)
- Wed 6/14/23 7pm (6pm Central 5pm MT 4pm Pacific)
- Wed 6/21/23 3pm (2pm Central 1pm MT 12pm Pacific)
July 2023 - Tending Loves Flame: Keeping the Love Alive
Stress can deplete the strength of your love relationship. Couples can forget to spend the time needed to keep the spark of love alive. Are you investing time and attention to your love partnership? Have you taken your partner for granted? This group explores the skills to help you maintain the closeness in your relationship. Maintain the tenderness and intimacy to fan the flames of love. Invest in keeping the spark of love alive.
- Tues 7/11/23 10am (9am Central 8am MT 7am Pacific)
- Wed 7/19/23 7pm (6pm Central 5pm MT 4pm Pacific)
- Wed 7/26/23 3pm (2pm Central 1pm MT 12pm Pacific)
August 2023 - Stepping Back: Don't Take it Personally
As a caregiver, have you ever thought to yourself, “If I had only” …fill in the blank? “If I had only not left him alone, he wouldn’t have fallen.” “If I only I had not wanted to go to the movies, she would not have had a panic attack.” The focus of this group will be to talk about what personalizing is. We will talk about why this is common among caregivers and the negative impacts are of taking things personally. Finally, we will talk about what you can do to stop these harmful thoughts to improve your mood and actions.
- Tues 8/01/23 10am (9am Central 8am MT 7am Pacific)
- Wed 8/09/23 7pm (6pm Central 5pm MT 4pm Pacific)
- Wed 8/16/23 3pm (2pm Central 1pm MT 12pm Pacific)
September 2023 - Empowering Caregivers: Your Health Belongs to You
Who is looking out for the caregiver’s health? Caregivers can neglect their own health needs when they focus on caring for another. Caregivers have a higher risk of health problems due to self-neglect and caregiver strain. This group will empower caregivers to turn their attention on themselves. You will learn skills that support your whole health and wellbeing.
- Tues 9/05/23 at 10am (9am Central 8am MT 7am Pacific)
- Wed 9/13/23 at 7pm (6pm Central 5pm MT 4pm Pacific)
- Wed 9/20/23 at 3pm (2pm Central 1pm MT 12pm Pacific)
Caregivers must register to join the CSL monthly education call.
To register, call 1-855-260-3274.
Access past presentations - Handouts.
Caregivers who are unable to attend the calls can access presentations on the CSL’s monthly presentations page.
VA's Caregiver Support Line (CSL) Call toll-free to 1-855-260-3274
We provide information and can make a referral to your local CSP team, who will connect you with nearby resources and services as you care for a Veteran. You can find your CSP team using the following locator tool: www.caregiver. va.gov/support/New_CSC_Page.asp.
What to Expect When Calling
When calling the Caregiver Support Line, you will hear an initial greeting. Please listen carefully to the options to route your call to our dedicated team. We look forward to talking with you.
If you'd like additional information or to learn more about the services listed below, contact VA's Caregiver Support Line 1-855-260-3274 or your local CSP team.
• Program of General Caregiver Support Services (PGCSS)
• VA In-Home and Support Services
• Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC)
• Caregiver Support Program (CSP) - Menu of Resources
Reach Out to Your CSP Team!
Every VA facility/VA Health Care System has a CSP team that provides support and referrals to services. They provide valuable information about resources that can help you to stay informed and supported as you care for your Veteran. Reach out to your CSP team to learn about more events happening in your local area.
Call VA’s Caregiver Support Line at 1-855-260-3274 to learn more about the support that is available to you, and for assistance connecting with the CSP team at your local VA Medical Center.
We hope you attend one of our many events!