VA Caregiver Support Program
We Wish You Happy Holidays!
We hope this holiday season fills your home with joy, your heart with love, and your life with laughter.
Being a caregiver of a Veteran is undoubtedly rewarding, but can also, at times, be quite stressful. The holiday season is supposed to be a joyous and celebratory time of year, but for you, ongoing caregiving duties might now be coupled with holiday shopping, family gatherings, cooking, and, of course, making sure the loved one you’re caring for also has a wonderful holiday. These fulfilling tasks can leave you feeling overwhelmed.
The Caregiver Support Program (CSP) has so many tips and resources, but the single most important resource this holiday season is you! Your selfless, compassionate, and meaningful support to your Veteran is appreciated, respected, and adored. And not just by those you know and love but also, by every member of our caregiver support team. Our gift to you this holiday season is to one, thank you. And two, to equip you with meaningful, helpful tools to help you through this challenging time of year:
- Practice Self-care using CSP’s and Veterans Affairs’ (VA) Whole Health free online tools: CSP’s self-care materials can help you become more aware of the stress you face. In addition, check out the self-care tools from VA’s Whole Health Library, including tips for recharging, personal development, and healthy relationships.
- Become emotionally prepared: CSP communicating and managing emotional resources can help you be better prepared to set boundaries and restore balance during challenging situations this holiday season.
- Connect with other caregivers: Reach out to fellow caregivers who understand your experience this holiday season. You can do so through resources such as the VA Peer Support Mentoring Program or through participating in CSP events found here.
- Develop and follow a budget: As a caregiver, it is obvious you have a generous heart, but don’t let the holiday spirit affect your finances. CSP has teamed up with the USAA Educational Foundation* to provide a series of videos to assist caregivers in establishing and maintaining a budget
- Give to yourself as you would others: Allow yourself a moment to observe the holiday spirit and exercise self-compassion, validating your dreams and concerns. CSP would like to remind you that you have access to things like the REACH VA program, which provides health support to caregivers.
We hope you find these resources helpful, and thank you, from the bottom of our hearts, for being a part of the Caregiver Support Program family. Again, happy holidays!
Your Caregiver Support Program team